Boston Edison

The Boston-Edison Historic District is an instantly recognizable address in the heart of Detroit, containing over 900 homes. Most homes were constructed between 1905 and 1925 and range in size from modest two-story vernaculars to impressive mansions. Early residents of Boston-Edison included Henry Ford, James Couzens, Horace Rackham, Sebastian Kresge, and Joe Louis.

The Boston-Edison Historic District consists of a 36-block area containing approximately 900 houses. The District is bordered by Boston Boulevard on the North, Edison Avenue on the South, Woodward Avenue on the east and Linwood on the West.

The majority of houses were constructed between 1905 and 1925 and range in size from mansions set amid extensive grounds to two-story vernacular houses situated on forty-foot wide lots. However, regardless of size, each home reflects the high level of craftsmanship and quality of building materials typical of the time. All homes are at least two full stories, built of brick, stone or stucco and set back at least 30 feet from the front lot line. Many homes feature cut stone details, elaborate door surrounds, slate or tile roofs and leaded glass windows.

The District received historic designation from the Federal, State and City governments in 1974. That designation has assisted the district in maintaining its viability as a neighborhood and its architectural distinctiveness. The Association vigorously enforces the local Historic District Ordinance, monitors the issuance of building permits and, occasionally, takes violators to court when City enforcement fails.

Source: Historic Boston-Edison Association

Current Boston Edison Listings