There is no neighborhood in the region that has more to offer than Midtown Detroit. Once home to Charles Lindberg and the Dodge brothers, and now home to some of the country’s premier urban learning institutions, medical facilities, museums and more. Midtown packs the best of our history and the power of our future all in to two square miles.
In 1898 a building permit was issued to Louis Kamper to construct a new house for clothing manufacturer Marvin Stanton. Soon after Stanton’s house was completed, and next door to it, Kamper produced a fantastic assemblage of towers, turrets, crenelations, and roofs now known popularly as “The Castle.” Then, in 1914, daughters of Joseph Berry petitioned City Council to develop a subdivision of high-quality single-family houses. Covenants called for houses of at least two stories in height and built of brick or stone, with setbacks and side yard spaces. Building began in 1916; the majority of houses date from the 1920s.
The Boston-Edison Historic District is an instantly recognizable address in the heart of Detroit, containing over 900 homes. Most homes were constructed between 1905 and 1925 and range in size from modest two-story vernaculars to impressive mansions. Early residents of Boston-Edison included Henry Ford, James Couzens, Horace Rackham, Sebastian Kresge, and Joe Louis.
These improvements, along with others made Birmingham a very acquaint but highly desirable place to live. In 1933, the growth in population driven in part by the mobility of the automobiles led to the incorporation of Birmingham as a city. Today, Birmingham's business district and residential areas still enjoy many of the small town charm that characterized days gone by.
There is no place in the region that has more to offer than Downtown Detroit. While solidly positioned as the place for entertainment, business and dining, greater downtown also plays host to a growing residential population. Downtown Detroit packs the best of history and the power of your future into one!
Detroit Golf Club Estates
As arguably the finest surviving streetcar suburb of turn of the century Detroit, Woodbridge sits solidly on the near-West Side. It is named after William Woodbridge, territorial governor of Michigan in 1840-41, who owned a large farm on which much of the neighborhood is now built. The neighborhood is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Huntington Woods is a city in southern Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 6,238 at the 2010 census. Huntington Woods is an inner suburb of Detroit and is bounded by Ten Mile and Eleven Mile Roads to the north and south, and by Coolidge Highway and Woodward Avenue to the west and east. The city has adopted the nickname of "City of Homes". The western portion of the Detroit Zoo is located in the city and contributes to its tax base.
Historic Indian Village is Detroit’s most architecturally-diverse neighborhood featuring homes by some of the world’s most prominent architects, including Albert Kahn, Louis Kamper and William Stratton. Originally designed for automakers, attorneys, lumber barons and captains of finance and commerce, featured styles are reminiscent of the Romanesque, Tudor Revival, Federal, Georgian, Colonial Revival and Arts and Crafts movements.
Lafayette Park is a short walk from downtown and Eastern Market, and a short bike ride to the cultural center, downtown, and the East Riverfront/Belle Isle. A small shopping center offers built into the neighborhood on Lafayette Boulevard, complete with the Paris Café coffee shop and grocery store. There is plenty of green space, including a neighborhood park, with landscape architecture dressing up the periphery of the neighborhood.
New Center is a unique and vibrant district. Off Woodward Avenue north of Midtown, it is home to the Fisher Building and the Fisher Theatre. The legacy of Albert Kahn and so many other neighborhood notables are reason enough to visit here. Less known is the rich and growing mix of goods and services. It's also the home to business incubators like TechTown that are bringing a new economic engine to Detroit.
The most prevalent residential style found in Palmer Woods is derived from the English Medieval and early Renaissance architecture of the Elizabethan and Jacobean periods (1588-1625). This revival of forms, generally termed Tudor Revival, was the most characteristic style found in Detroit from 1890 to 1930.
Pleasant Ridge is known for its historic homes, tree-lined streets and active citizens who dedicate their time for the betterment of the community. Our long tradition of community pride is reflected in our beautiful parks along Woodward Avenue and our pristine neighborhoods. Many of the houses in Pleasant Ridge are part of a nationally-recognized historic district, and all the homes reflect the care and attention, which assures that Pleasant Ridge will remain a beautiful community for generations to come. A strong sense of community, dedication to historic preservation and ideal location makes Pleasant Ridge the perfect city for all ages, interests and lifestyles.
The City of Royal Oak requires no introduction to the Detroit metropolitan area. Conveniently located near several major thoroughfares, Royal Oak's location is prime. This is evident in the steady rise of property values throughout the city. Royal Oak has maintained the appeal of a small town, while affording many of the amenities of a large metropolis. Because of its respect for diversity, the city's composition is truly eclectic. The population represents a diverse mix of individuals, age groups, incomes, and myriad of residential home styles. Combined efforts of a proactive city government and Downtown Development Authority over the past several years have brought about a metamorphosis of the city's central business district. Downtown improvements have included changes to the landscape that encourage socialization.
Sherwood Forest was platted in 1917 and is made up of approximately 435 homes were built in the late 1920’s and 1930’s. The neighborhood boundaries are Seven Mile Road on the south, Livernois on the west, Pembroke on the north and Parkside on the east. We are located in a tranquil setting, but are just a few minutes from downtown, with easy access to shopping and all major freeways.
Located three miles east of downtown, along the Detroit River, the Villages of Detroit are a unique collection of waterfront communities each with authentic personality and charm. This includes historic neighborhoods, high-rise condos, edgy lofts and apartments, and affordable rental properties and new construction homes.
The University District was established as a residential community in the mid 1920s. The district was part of the largest tract of land in the area known as the "Golf Club" district. Father John McNichols, of the Jesuit Order, relocated the University of Detroit to the corner of McNichols (then known as Palmer Boulevard) and Livernois. The residential area adjacent to the University became known as the "University District."Most of the 1400 homes in the area were built in the 1920s and 30s during the "Golden Age of Housing." Structural integrity, architectural detail, the caliber of workmanship and quality materials are all hallmarks of that era.